As winter approaches the temperature outside will inevitably begin to drop. Unfortunately your energy expenses will do the opposite as your home will require additional heating. Heating your home can be quite costly and with the cost of energy steadily on the rise it’s a good idea for homeowners to start thinking about ways to conserve energy in their home. Many of the methods used to save money through your utility company or a third party provider can be confusing, inconvenient, and may even require a contract for a period of time. There are much simpler and easier ways of saving money on your bill at the end of the month without sacrificing you lifestyle and comfort. Here are some ways to do so:
When electronics such as televisions, DVD players, and cell phone chargers are left plugged in they still draw electricity even when not in use. Technically referred to as “residual power” this commonly overlooked draw of power can run your monthly bill up by around 7%. A Simple solution for this problem exists, but the task of plugging and unplugging all your electronics on demand is uncomfortable. The solution we recommend is to plug your devices into a power strip and turn those devices off when you finish up for the day. Power strips may also be referred as an extension block, power strip, power board or plug boards. They are easy to find in stores but can also range in quality, function, and price ($15 to over $100).
Many people are still using the traditional dated light bulbs only because they don’t really know the difference . Traditional bulbs, technically known as incandescent light bulb are very inefficient only using less than 10% of the electricity drawn to convert into light. The other 90% of the electricity produces heat which is not what you want from your light bulbs. The traditional light bulb was invented in the 1800’s so it has a legendary run and is finally becoming obsolete. Introducing the compact fluorescent lamp (CFL), cold cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL), or light-emitting diode (LEDs). Use these energy efficient options to keep the power company away from some of those hard earned dollars.
Turning down the temperature a few degrees at night or when you leave during the day is a great way to save on energy. People with a Electronic thermostat have the advantage to program the thermostat as needed for the necessary change in climate. Tech savvy homeowners can take advantage of Smartphone apps that allow you to control the temperature in your home from anywhere in the world. Electronic thermostat apps are fairly easy to use and are budget friendly. Ensure that the chosen app is compatible with your thermostat unit.
Change your heating filter! Change or clean it monthly through the summer and every three months in winter. Clean air filters save energy and money. Clogged coils can’t heat or cool the air passing over them, and they may damage the system. Routinely changing or cleaning the filters from your home’s heating and air conditioning system helps the units run more efficiently and enjoy a longer lifespan.
Ontario government rebates and grants are a great incentive for you to inspect your home’s energy efficiency and make necessary changes to improve on your energy cost. The Ontario Government has programs in place to aid homeowners bare the cost of updating various aspects of the home. If you would like the list of specific rebates and/or grants from the official Government of Canada’s website click here or contact us at Grand Building and Contracting and we can assist you.